Friday, October 29, 2010

October 30 - In Seoul

I'm currently at the Incheon airport. This is my first time ever being outside north America. It's 3 in the morning and I have the whole place to myself.





Those escalators in the last picture are kind of cool. We should get them in Montreal, I think. They have motion sensors that turn the escalator on only when it is in use and leave it off otherwise. It probably saves a ton of energy.

Incidentally, this is probably the last time I will be able to post pictures to the blog, though I will see if I can do it from my email posts (since blogspot is blocked in China).

As an addendum to my last post, Incheon not only has free wifi service, it has 7 different free wifi services! There's really something wrong with this picture.

The flight was really long and exhausting. I only managed to sleep for an hour, making that 1 hour of sleep in the last 33 hours, with at least another 7 hours to go before I can make it anywhere near a real bed.

Fortunately, on the flight I met a really cool Korean guy from Toronto. We talked about all sorts of interesting things throughout the flight, which managed to kill about 4 hours worth of this ordeal. The rest of the time was spent watching movies (4 hours), sleeping (1 hour) and wishing I was sleeping (the longest 5 hours ever).

On the other hand, Korean Air is an amazing airline. All refreshments were free and unlimited with the exception of high-end alcohol. Where else can you get bibimbap, a breakfast, wine, beer, coffee, tea, as many snacks as you want, free pillows, blankets, headphones, a hot facecloth, etc. all on one single flight? Wonderful service.

I had a conversation in Chinese with one of the attendants where I learned the words for "Sprite" (xue bi) and "no ice" (bu xiang xiao bing).

I'm happy and excited to get to China in just a few hours!

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, translations of various trademarks into Chinese... There are only two requirements an acceptable translation, which is why in actual Chinese, it usually has nothing to do with the product at all. 1) It needs to sound similar to the English name. 2) It needs to sound somewhat positive in Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are going to be having a wonderful time. I can't wait to read more about your time there. Much love and best wishes, Marie

    ReplyDelete